Finding yourself back where it all began



I am a girl named Michael. It was mainly at my paternal grandmother's insistence that my parents decided to name me after my father. I am convinced she knew that I would become daddy's girl and that inheriting his name would also play a role in the women I would become. Mawmaw and Pawpaw were driving into Shreveport just back from an RV trip all the way up the Alaskan Highway. Pawpaw was ready to get home but Mawmaw was just positive that I, her first grandchild, was about to enter this world so she convinced him to make a quick stop at the hospital where my mom had indeed been in labor with me. I have spent my whole life thus far sharing this very special bond with both my grandmother and my father.

Mawmaw had four sons. I was not only her first grandchild but her first chance at spoiling a little girl. She and her sister loved parading me about town for lunch or in general parading me about town. I grew up a short bike ride away from her sister, my great aunt, Jennie. When Mawmaw and Pawpaw moved to Diamondhead, Mississippi when I was 7 or 8?, I spent many days riding my bicycle to Aunt Jennie's. I always had a very special relationship with both of these incredible women and am forever grateful for the many treasured memories. My mawmaw has lived long enough to see all of her generation pass along with two of her sons. At 93, I feel truly thankful to have her with us.

My dad became my Mawmaw's caretaker after her heart attack in 2005 and I am currently serving as my dad's caretaker after he suffered a stroke two years ago. I had to put my Mawmaw in assisted living (a decision I struggle with still). My motivation behind moving back home and taking on this responsibility is that I have been able to once again spend precious time with Mawmaw during her final years.

After a year of dealing with senior care and VA visits, I consider myself a professional navigator of the Social Security and Veterans Administration systems. I hope to get some advise for hacking the golden years into the blog soon. The way we treat our elders in America is really, truly shameful. Having an advocate (like myself) makes all the difference in the treatment and the bureaucracy of becoming old.

I have found myself living back in my home town (but in the country) putting down actual roots for the first time. I spent most of my young adult life living in New Orleans cultivating the spirit of serendipity through the music and culture that rises up from the streets. The city of New Orleans has my soul and the city of Shreveport has my mortgage. During my return, two of my childhood friends moved back as well. Along with a few other lifelong friends, I am living a new adventure with old friends. I finally have the time to continue my herbalist education and land to farm. I work for an amazing non profit, Positive Vibrations Foundation, which focuses on engaging communities through children's music education, provides funding for music videos or travel to deserving artists and other programs involving music, culture and the arts.

My whole life is a series a fortunate accidents.
If you enjoy grandmothers, storytelling, music or herbal studies then I believe you'll enjoy my blog.

Comments

Popular Posts